1. Mix sugar, salt, and pepper in bowl.
2. Wearing food prep gloves are advised as tamarind is sticky. Massage the tamarind pulp with sugar mixture and pick out the fibrous segments by hand. (The abrasive action of the sugar makes this easier.) Discard the fibrous segments. If the tamarind pulp is too dry, add a small amount of water.
3. Add remaining sugar to the mixture and knead until a clay-like texture and lighter color are achieved. Note: If you add water to the pulp, you will need to add more sugar to the mixture later to get the right texture.
4. Divide into 5g portions (about the size of large marbles) and roll into balls.
5. Roll the balls in sugar to create a dry, crunchy outer layer.
6. Gently warm the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave, stir to combine.
7. Add spices to taste if desired.
8. Sauce can be used as a drizzle and allowed to set before consuming or served warm as a dipping sauce.
Tamarind Balls were originally featured as part of our 2022 Peter’s Chocolate Calendar. To learn more about the calendar and see other inspired creations from 2022, visit our blog here.