Patriotic Caramel Corn
10 cups Popped Corn, mushroom type preferred
10½ oz Sugar
4 oz Brown Sugar
5½ oz Corn Syrup
4 oz Water
1 oz Butter
½ oz Salt
½ oz Baking Soda
Additional 1½ oz butter + ¼ oz lecithin, melted
24 oz Peter’s® White Icecap® Wafers
Red and Blue Oil-Based Coloring
- Find a large bowl or kettle big enough for the popcorn with extra room to mix; warm up the bowl which will make the mixing easier.
- In a separate pot, bring the sugars, corn syrup and water to a boil. Place lid on pot for 1 minute to allow any sugar crystals to wash down from inside the pan. Remove the lid and continue cooking. At approximately 240⁰F add the 1 oz butter and continue cooking to 300⁰F.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in salt and baking soda.
- Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn and mix thoroughly to completely coat the popcorn. Add in additional butter/lecithin blend and continue mixing which will break the clumps and make individual pieces. Pour the coated popcorn onto a greased cooling table and cool completely.
- Melt Peter’s White Icecap wafers to 115-120⁰F and divide into 3 portions. Set one aside; add red oil-based coloring to the second and blue oil-based coloring to the third. Cool to 92-98⁰F and drizzle each over the caramel corn.
Our Patriotic Caramel Corn was originally created as part of our 2019 Peter’s Chocolate Calendar. To learn more about the calendar and see other innovative creations from 2019, visit our blog here.
Yield: 10 Cups